Re: Final text of GPL v3

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 10:16:07AM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 02:35:42 +0100 Iain Nicol wrote:
> > Concerning section 5d of the final text of the GPL 3:
> > Francesco Poli worries:
> > > It mandates a feature that I *must* implement in *any* interactive
> > > interface of my modified work. [...] it seems that when a
> > > non-interactive work is modified so that it becomes an interactive
> > > work, the modifier is *compelled* to implement these features in
> > > *any* newly created interactive interface.
> > Could this requirement be interpreted more liberally?
> I wish it could, but I am afraid it cannot...  :-(

Francesco is not a lawyer, that isn't legal advice, it's almost
certainly not based on legal advice, and those sorts of questions should
be discussed with either the copyright holder of the work you want to
modify or a lawyer if you want an answer you can actually use.

Personally, I think you'll have plenty of luck avoiding the requirement
if you talk to upstream authors about it (with the possible exception of
the FSF) who can give you permission in addition to the GPL, and not much
luck if you talk to lawyers about reading it more liberally in general.

But YMMV and more importantly your lawyer's mileage may vary.

Cheers,
aj