Re: JOGL in Debian

"John Halton" <johnhalton@gmail.com> wrote in message [🔎] 20071207224836.GA11993@debian.borkwood">news:[🔎] 20071207224836.GA11993@debian.borkwood...
On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 10:33:14PM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
Are you implying you have any evidence that the GNU GPL v2 is
*incompatible* with french law?!?

I gather that one reason for some of the changes in GPL v2 (in
particular the change from "distribute" to "propogate/convey") was to
address concerns over how GPL v2 would be interpreted under French
law, where "distribute" has (I gather) a very specific meaning.

Hmm.. I'd be surprised if "distribute" had any meaning in french law at all.
I mean perhaps "Distribuer" has a specific legal meaning, but if I were a judge, i would interprete foreign language legal terms not by the meaning of the closest translated word, but the local legal term that is closest in meaning to the original legal term. It seems a reasonably safe assumption that french law has some term that means roughly the same thing as distribute does in Common Law.