Re: transitive GPL (exim4, OpenSSL, mySQL and others)

Hi,

Le jeudi 08 novembre 2007 à 19:27 +0100, Marc Haber a écrit :
> (1)
> Is it ok to change exim's SSL library to OpenSSL in the current setup
> without violating the GPL for some of the library currently in use

As you said, libmysqlclient and exim are OK with linking with OpenSSL.

The one problem that could remain is that of libperl. It is OK to link
libperl with libssl because libperl is dual-licensed under the GPL and
the Artistic license, which is compatible with the OpenSSL license, but
that makes another GPL incompatibility.

Fortunately, libmysqlclient also allows linking with code under the
Artistic license. As for Exim's exception, it is so broad that
practically speaking, it is as if it was licensed under the LGPL:

        In addition, for the avoidance of any doubt, permission is
        granted to link this program with OpenSSL or any other library
        package and to (re)distribute the binaries produced as the
        result of such linking.

It would be nice to get explicit permission from the Exim developers to
link with Perl code under the Artistic license, but it seems to me that
this whole mess is already legally redistributable.

> (2)
> Will it be a violation of the GPL to link exim to a
> GPL-without-OpenSSL-exemption-clause library in the future?

Yes.

> (3)
> Is this violation maybe already happening by virtue of linking
> indirectly to OpenSSL via libpq?

It would, if exim and libmysqlclient's exceptions weren't so broad.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.