Re: GPL 3 and derivatives

On Fri,  9 Nov 2007 11:55:13 +0000 (GMT) MJ Ray wrote:

> Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Seriously, does the FSF expect everyone who would modify a GPL-ed
> > work  or create a derivative work to read and understand his
> > countries  copyright laws?
>
> The FSF has recently published A Quick Guide to GPLv3
> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

I haven't read it yet (but it was already on my radar...).
Nonetheless I cannot wait to comment on your message, so let's get
started!

> I think that's pretty much an admission of how this licence is even
> less hacker-friendly than GPLv2.

It may be seen that way, sure.
An overly long and complicated license (about twice as long as GPLv2,
which is already fairly long!) ...

> Looking at the explanation: neutralising EUCD/DMCA-type laws is good,
> but using GPLv3 comes with the cost of endorsing things like the
> Affero GPL.

... and despite its length, it does not even implement an actually
working copyleft mechanism.  :-(

> After all the times RMS has spoken out against Creative
> Commons because endorsing CC-SA also endorses CC-NC a little, it's
> really disappointing to see FSF/GNU create their own similar brand
> confusion.

Taking into account that the FSF approves of
CC-by-v2.0 and CC-by-sa-v2.0 as "free licenses"
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html), that speaking out
against Creative Commons does not seem to be too convinced...

[...]
> That's really the summary that can be used about the whole GPLv3 saga:
> good but disappointing.

100 % agreement here.
GPLv3 only just meets the DFSG, but has a broken copyleft and annoying
clauses.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?