Re: Encryption laws outside US

On 11/6/07, travel kid <travelkid07@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I didn't know where to start so figured would start
> from here. I was wondering what the US laws where in
> shipping pre-installed debian servers to offices of
> the same company outside US, to Europe mainly.

An explanation of why Debian doesn't have the non-us archive any more is here:

http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain

Presumably, you would need to do the same kind of notifications too,
you should get legal advice from a US lawyer on that though.

Alternatively, ship the bare servers, a d-i preseed config (or FAI
config), and relevant setup scripts and have the EU offices install
Debian from a local mirror. This option would probably be far less
hassle than dealing with legal stuff.

> I intend to use ssh, kerberos packages. I would
> appreciate some information and pointers to docs that
> I read about US laws that either place restrictions
> and allow usage of such packages.

IIRC, the restrictions are on export, not use.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise