From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@gmail.com>
To: debian-legal@lists.debian.org
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2007 1:51:20 PM
Subject: GPL 3 and derivatives

O wise ones,

Please point out to me where in the forest of the GPL 3 liveth that
animal called the "requirement of derivative works to be distributed
under the same license"?

GPL v3 does not at all have the word "derivative". Apparently this is an
attempt at making the GPL less dependent on the US legal system, which
is a good thing ok but I can hardly read this text. Some survey should
be conducted to determine as to what exact percentage of people taking
advantage of the GPL actually understand it, at whatever version.

The word "based on" seems to refers to modified forms of the same work
and not derivative works.

Shriramana Sharma.