Re: Applications linking against GPLv2 only libqt3/libqt4 and [L]GPLv3+ libraries

Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@gmx.net> wrote:
> With the last version updates both libgsl0ldbl and libgmp3c2 became
> GPLv3+ respective LGPLv3+.  [...]
> There seems to be no precaution mechanism against such problems in the
> archive - and from a simple minds point of view such a problem makes
> the binary non-distributable (or does a problem only exist on the
> users machine who is doing the runtime linking?).

I think there isn't a huge problem yet if the API hasn't changed from
the GPLv2 release because the source would be derived from the LGPLv2
library.  So I believe, as you note, a problem exists only on the
users machine, but I guess this makes machine images undistributable.
Is that a problem for us?

I'd file low-severity bugs against the applications for now, so that the
maintainers can notify upstreams in good time.  Would asking Qt's
upstream to add GPLv3 to the exceptions make this mess all go away?

The serious problems will come when an API changes and a GPLv2-only-stuck
application updates to use the new API.

Unsure,
--
MJR/slef