Re: Open Font License 1.1review2 - comments?

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 08:02:55 +0800 Gervase Markham wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
[...]
> > Actually, DFSG#4 states, in part:
> >
> > | The license may require derived works to carry a different name or
> > | version number from the original software.
> >
> > This means that forbidding derived works to carry the same name as
> > the original software is acceptable.
> > I believe that forbidding an unlimited and arbitrary list of
> > Reserved Font Names goes beyond and is *not* DFSG-free.
>
> I think that's splitting hairs a bit. Because all of the Reserved Font
> Names will have been used for the font in the ancestor version tree of
> the software somewhere, they are all the name of the "original
> software"  - at different points in its development.

I probably missed where the license makes sure that Reserved Font Names
can only become such by being names used in some ancestor version of the
Font Software.

Could you please elaborate and show the relevant clauses, so that my
concerns go away?

[...]
> > As already pointed out by Andrew Donnellan, this is vague, as the
> > word "document" is never defined and has no unambiguous meaning.
>
> Do you have a proposed definition? What sort of things do you suggest
> some people might consider documents and others not?

I don't have one, since I think that clearly drawing lines to tell
various software categories apart is really hard.
This discussion has showed up many times on debian-legal, at least since
the GFDL times (I think it was 2002 or 2003): I believe there are no
clearcut boundaries between documents, programs, images, audio/video
works, and so forth.  They can be classified in most cases, but the
boundaries are always blurred.  Hence defining what a "document" is,
turns out to be hard.

P.S.: please reply to the list only, as I didn't asked to be placed in
      the To: (or Cc:) field... thanks.

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_