Re: firefox -> iceweasel package is probably not legal

Arnoud Engelfriet <arnoud@engelfriet.net> wrote:
> What I don't understand is why a package for the Iceweasel software
> would carry the name firefox. There's no such thing as a firefox. [...]

Others have explained that the package doesn't do that and that there is
such a thing as a firefox.

> [...] When a user does "apt-get install firefox"
> he is not saying "I want to install a firefox", but "I want to install
> the browser with the name Firefox".

Or are they saying "I want to install a web browser" in a similar to those
people who order a coke when they are saying they want a cola?

(Jumping threads: it's very rare that I get questioned about Pepsi if I
forgetfully order a coke.  I think mainly Wetherspoon pubs do that now.)

> It is true that a purely functional indication cannot be affected by a
> trademark. So if something cannot function without having part of it
> named ``firefox'', then that would not be trademark infringement.

The firefox transition package cannot function fully without its
Package control field being labelled firefox and a /usr/bin/firefox
(IMO having that in iceweasel may be a bug in a couple of ways).

> But
> from what I have seen so far, the only reason the package is called
> ``firefox'' is because people know Firefox better than Iceweasel. In
> that case the name is used in the trademark sense.

Two of my questions remain, as far as I can see:
1. That firefox transition package is not a web browser, so is the mark
relevant or confusing?
2. No trade takes place with apt-get, so are any trademarks relevant?

I can understand why one cannot sell as Firefox a thing containing the
firefox transition package and iceweasel, but that seems similar to
some other name-change and individual-selling restrictions.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef