Re: CC's responses to v3draft comments

On Sun, 2006-24-09 at 12:06 -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Worse, the PDF description of the parallel distribution amendment appears
> to describe an amendment which is less restrictive than necessary for
> Debian's purposes (see comment 11).  (Proper parallel distribution requires
> the unencumbered to be distributed to every recipient of the encumbered:
> though not technically "with" the encumbered, it's effectively the same,
> and that's not mentioned in the response.)  Given this (mis)interpretation,
> I would probably oppose such an amendment too.  :-/

If there is a mistake there, it is probably my fault. I'm confused as to
why the unencumbered version must be _distributed_ to each recipient,
rather than just _made available_ to each recipient. (I differentiate
here between packaging the two versions inseparably together, versus
putting the unencumbered version on a public Web site, say.)

I believe it's immaterial to the DFSG-compatibility of the license, but
I wonder why you think it's required for "proper" parallel distribution
otherwise.

> > Hence, it seems that CC refuses to disclose the intended meaning of the
> > clause...
>
> I think the plaintext meaning should be assumed unless the licensor
> specifies otherwise (reference UW-Pine case), and we know that the
> plaintext meaning allows "parallel distribution".  (Of course, if there
> is a court case, we'd have to defer to that, but until there is, I'd
> go by the plain meaning.)

My guess is that Mia's response is a political one. Their international
affiliates have opposed additional parallel distribution language; we've
said that the language in the 3.0 draft may be enough to allow parallel
distribution anyways. Rather than getting them upset, she's given us a
barely-qualified yes. I think we should take our victory as gracefully
and discreetly as we can.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org>