Re: License issues with metasploit-framework

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:38:37 +0100 James Westby wrote:

> Hi, there is an open ITP on metasploit-framework (#323420), and the
> owner Luciano asked me to contact this list about some of the license
> issues involved with the package.

Hi, this is indeed the right list to contact.

> At the moment the framework is at version 2, and is released under a
> dual license of GPL v2 and Perl Artistic.

For all the parts that are actually under this dual licensing, that's
fine.

> There are a lot of contributed files in the package. Most have the
> following header
>
> ;        This file is part of the Metasploit Exploit Framework
> ;        and is subject to the same licenses and copyrights as
> ;        the rest of this package.

Seems more or less OK, even though having a clear copyright & permission
notice that explicitly refers to the dual GPLv2/Artistic would be much
better and safer.

> and some have no license header.

These ones are concerning, especially if there is no other indication
that they really fall under the same licenses as the rest of the
framework!
I think that a clarification from upstream is needed.

> There are a few that say the
> following
>
> # This file is part of the Metasploit Framework and may be
> # redistributed according to the licenses defined in the Authors field
> # below. In the case of an unknown or missing license, this file
> # defaults to the same license as the core Framework (dual GPLv2 and
> # Artistic). The latest version of the Framework can always be
> # obtained from metasploit.com.

What does the "Authors field below" say?
Is there one?

If there is, then you (we) have to check whether it defines a licensing
scheme which is DFSG-free and compatible with the rest of the framework.

If there isn't, then it's more or less OK, with the above-mentioned
warning (being explicit would be far better).

> There is one with
>
>  * The contents of this file constitute Original Code as defined in
>  * and are subject to the Apple Public Source License Version 1.1 (the
>  * "License").  You may not use this file except in compliance with
>  * the License.  Please obtain a copy of the License at
>  * http://www.apple.com/publicsource and read it before using this
>  * file.
>  * This Original Code and all software distributed under the License
>  * are distributed on an "AS IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
>  * EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND APPLE HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL SUCH
>  * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTIES OF
>  * MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR
>  * NON-INFRINGEMENT.  Please see the License for the specific language
>  * governing rights and limitations under the License.
>
> which the archives seem do suggest is not DFSG-free.

What was analysed on debian-legal was (at least) Apple's APSL v2.0:
definitely non-free (and GPLv2-incompatible).

This is APSL v1.1: I don't know if this version has ever been reviewed
on debian-legal.
If someone finds the time to look at it, it would be useful to assess
its DFSG-freeness and {GPLv2/Artistic}-compatibility.

If it's not {GPLv2/Artistic}-compatible, then upstream should be
persuaded to relicense or replace the file. Or possibly Debian can
substitute the file with a {GPLv2/Artistic}-compatible drop-in
replacement (if at all possible).

> There is a zlib implementation with the following license
>
> ===
[...]
> ===

This is actually the so-called zlib license: DFSG-free and
GPLv2-compatible, AFAICS.

> And my favourite
>
> # Yo yo, this be da socketNinja.
> # Alpha-2.0 release
> # Distribute and get a visit from tireIronNinja
>
> which I don't think is free.

It lacks (at least) permission to modify and distributed modified
versions (see DFSG#3).
It doesn't even clearly grant permission to distribute (see DFSG#1):
"Distribute" seems like an order, not a permission!
I don't understand the visit part...  :-/

Upstream should be contacted and asked to relicense this file.
Or, as usual, this file could be dropped or replaced.

> There are also binary files distributed in the tarball, these are not
> meant to be compiled, as they are for executing on the target
> computer. I'm not sure how this sits, as they are obviously not the
> preferred form of modification, and some don't include the source they
> were compiled from.

If the actual source for those binaries is not available, we are going
very far from DFSG compliance (see DFSG#2).
Upstream should be got in touch with and asked for source under
a DFSG-free and {GPLv2/Artistic}-compatible license.

Alternatively those binaries should be dropped or replaced.

> Now, we could contact upstream and get them to include proper headers
> etc., but I wanted to know how much of this was unsuitable for
> distribution, as if it leaves a severely crippled package then it's
> not really worth it.

It's up to you to decide whether it's worth fixing this melting pot of
copyrights and licenses.
Whatever you decide, thanks for contributing Debian.

> Also upstream are working on version 3 which is in alpha now. The
> decided to change the license to The Metasploit Framework License
> v1.0.
> http://www.metasploit.com/projects/Framework/msf3/download.html?Release=alpha-r3

Oh my goodness!
Another project that decides they need their own awkward and
incompatible license!

Writing a good license is a really hard task: it requires good lawyers
and a long revision process.  Worse, it can fail even with such things!
Moreover, even when you create a good license, license proliferation is
bad, since it creates barriers that obstruct free software sharing and
reuse.

It would really be appreciated if you tried to persuade upstream to
adopt a well-established and clearly DFSG-free license, instead of
writing their own.

GNU GPLv2 is a good choice.
Even GPLv2/Artistic dual license is good.
Another good choice is the Expat license
(http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt), if copyleft is not regarded as
an important goal.

> ===
> The Metasploit Framework License v1.0
> Copyright (C) 2006 Metasploit LLC
[...]
> ===
>
> The webpage requires a click through of this license to get the
> source.
>
> How does this license look? If it is DFSG-free, then the best option
> is probably to package this version.

I didn't find the time to thoroughly analyse the license, but I spotted
at least a choice of venue, which is non-free:

| Any
| litigation related to this License must be filed and heard in the
| courts for Travis County, Texas.

If I manage to review the license completely, I will send my analysis to
debian-legal only, because I don't think the BTS is the right place for
license analysis and discussion.
When a conclusion is reached a link to the list archives can be sent as
a followup for the bug report...

> Apologies for dumping everything here, but I want to be clear about
> the legal issues before proceeding.

Pasting the full text of licenses and unclear copyright & permission
notices is the recommended method to get advice from debian-legal, hence
I think you did nothing wrong.

> Thanks,

You're welcome!

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4