Re: RFH: Non-free files in Emacs

After cautiously reading you message, here are my intends about the listed
files.  Please correct me if you think I'm wrong.

[CRUFT] Remove from any package
[NON-FREE] Move to non-free
[MAIN] Keep in main

neroden@twcny.rr.com (Nathanael Nerode) writes:

> Files in the /etc directory of emacs21 which may be legally problematic follow.
>
> If you can't stand to read this all, the brief summary:
> * As well as the ones you spotted before,
>   DISTRIB, GNU, MOTIVATION, and gfdl.1 are non-free.
>
> * There are a lot of files without any copyright or licensing information,
>   and upstream probably will want to fix this.  I would remove a lot of these
>   even if they turn out to be free, as much of it is useless cruft.
>
> ObLicense: I hereby give permission to forward this message or any part of it
> (verbatim) to anyone who you think might find it useful.
>
> -----
> First, an oddity:

> e/eterm
>   -- binary included in the source tarball!  Debian's general policy is
>   to rebuild such things.

[CRUFT] Has to be rebuilt from e/eterm.ti

> ------
> Second, files with explicit license notices which aren't standard
> free licenses, apart from the non-free files you already identified
> (The ones you already identifed are
> CENSORSHIP

[NON-FREE] or [CRUFT] Shall we ever bother shiping unrelated essays?

> copying.paper

[NON-FREE]

> INTERVIEW

[NON-FREE] or [CRUFT] Shall we ever bother shiping unrelated essays?

> LINUX-GNU

[NON-FREE]

> THE-GNU-PROJECT

[NON-FREE]

> WHY-FREE).

[NON-FREE] It deals with software freedom, so maybe not [CRUFT]

> COPYING
>   -- Non-free (verbatim only), but we make an exception for it because it's
>   the license for the program.

[MAIN]

> DEBUG
>   -- old GNU documentation license (unique copyleft).  Free.

[MAIN]

> DISTRIB
>   -- Non-free.  No explicit permission to make modified copies (verbatim only).

[NON-FREE]

> GNU
>   -- Non-free.  "Modified copies may not be made".

[NON-FREE]

> MOTIVATION
>   -- Non-free.  Reprinted with permission, no permission to modify.

[NON-FREE] or [CRUFT] This text is not related to Emacs, shall we
really keep it?

> OTHER.EMACSES
>   -- old GNU documentation license (unique copyleft).  Free.

[MAIN]

> TUTORIAL and TUTORIAL.*
>   -- old GNU documentation license (unique copyleft).  Free.

[MAIN]

> emacstool.1
>   -- GFDL-licensed without Invariant Sections, Front-Cover Texts,
>   or Back-Cover Texts -- so considered acceptable.  However, it's
>   also irrelevant to Debian, since it's suntools-specific, so
>   remove it, just so you don't have to worry about it any more.

[CRUFT]

> gfdl.1
>   -- Licensed for distribution, but obviously this is a non-free
>   document ("changing it is not allowed").  We would make an exception for
>   it if it were the license for any part of the package.  If all the
>   GFDL documentation is removed, it must be removed too.

[NON-FREE]

> termcap.src

[CRUFT]

> BABYL

[MAIN] It describes a file format used by rmail or Gnus

> COOKIES
>  -- anonymous authorship

[CRUFT]

> FTP
>  -- almost certainly too short to have a copyright

[MAIN] where to get information about how to download Emacs through FTP

> HELLO
>  -- almost certainly not copyrightable

[MAIN]

> JOKES
>  -- This consists of a bunch of different people's email messages, apparently
>  without permission to reproduce forever

[CRUFT]

> LEDIT
>  -- email message from the person contributing ledit.l.  Of course,
>  copyright and licensing is never discussed....

[CRUFT]

> LPF
>  -- does the organization even exist anymore?

[CRUFT]

> MACHINES

[CRUFT]

> MAILINGLISTS
>  -- Last updated 1999.... emacs seems to be the home of cruft.

[MAIN] Informative about how to reach emacs lists?

> MH-E-NEWS

[MAIN] still used upstream since mh-e incorporated into Emacs

> MH-E-ONEWS

[CRUFT] Removed upstream

> MORE.STUFF

[MAIN] describes available external packages for Emacs

> Makefile

[MAIN] used to build e/eterm

> ORDERS

[MAIN]

> ORDERS.EUROPE
>  -- Don't the upstream emacs maintainers ever clean anything up?
>     This is pretty obsolete.
> ORDERS.JAPAN
>  -- see ORDERS.EUROPE

[CRUFT] Both removed upstream

> PROBLEMS

[MAIN]

> README

[MAIN]

> SERVICE

[MAIN] or [CRUFT] Where to get help about emacs?

> TERMS

[MAIN]

> TODO

[MAIN]

> Xkeymap.txt

[MAIN]

> celibacy.1

[CRUFT]

> condom.1

[CRUFT]

>   -- Post-1988 (1992).
> e/eterm.ti
>   -- Not copyrightable, as a collection of "facts" about eterm.

[MAIN]

> echo.msg
>   -- Released 1985 in US without copyright notice, so public domain.

[CRUFT]

> emacs.bash
>   -- By Noah Friedman.

[MAIN]  might be usefull. Noah probably assigned his copyright to the FSF

> emacs.csh
>   -- By Michael DeCorte.

[MAIN] Likewise.

> enriched.doc

[MAIN] text sample of emacs editing capabilities

> future-bug
>   -- Email message by Karl Fogel <kfogel@floss.cyclic.com>.

[CRUFT]

> ledit.l

[CRUFT]

> ms-78kermit
>   -- Post-1988 (1989).  Author "Andy Lowry".

[MAIN] or [CRUFT] terminals settings

> ms-kermit
>   -- Post-1988 (1990).  Author "Robert Earl (rearl@watnxt3.ucr.edu)"

[MAIN] or [CRUFT] terminals settings

> sex.6
>   -- Issued without copyright notice prior to 1988 (1987),
>   so it's in the public domain.

[CRUFT]

> spook.lines
>   -- unlikely to be copyrightable, so I would assume it is public
>   domain

[CRUFT]

> tasks.texi
>   -- Post-1988.  Probably not subject to
>   general emacs license, since it seems to be very much not part of
>   emacs.  An essentially obselete document ("last updated January 15,
>   2001").  See ORDERS.EUROPE.

[CRUFT]

> ulimit.hack
>   -- Note that this is a piece of obselete junk which should
>   really be removed upstream. See ORDERS.EUROPE.

[CRUFT]

> yow.lines
>   -- large numbers of quotations from Bill Griffith's Zippy comics,
>   without permission.  There are so damn many of them that it
>   worries me.  (Unlike the other lists, which don't consist entirely
>   of work by one author.)  I'd remove it.  Any other people want
>   to weigh in?

[CRUFT]

> And the license-free graphics files.  These probably have a better
> claim to be "part of emacs" and under the general license than the
> rest, because there's no place to put a separate license statement
> in these files.
>
> emacs.icon
> emacs.xbm
> gnu.xpm