Re: Interpreting the GFDL GR

Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>
>> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:
>>> Therefore my proposal is to narrow the licensor's-intent principle to
>>> clauses of the general kind that are problematic in the GFDL. The
>>> description in point (a) above is my best attempt to define such a
>>> "general kind" of restrictions without being too much a GFDL-specific
>>> exemption.
>
>> I think your suggestion is the best chance at making sense of the GR
>> that I've seen so far, but I would make one change: it *should* in fact
>> be applicable only to the GFDL.
>
> Doing so would mean that we'd need to have a separate GR for each
> problematic license we encounter. We have to try to extract some
> general principles from it, or everything becomes a farce.

I agree with your premise, but not your conclusion.  The GR did not
specify any general principles.  If you'd like to advocate some general
principles on their own merits, that's fine; don't attribute them to the
project as a whole, or attempt to guess the "intent" of a voting body
with likely many individual intents.  I don't believe it's a farce to
take the approach of interpreting the DFSG in a reasonable manner, and
require a GR if the project wants to say "Regardless of any license
reasoning or possible issues, this license shall be considered free
under these circumstances", which is exactly what the GR did.

- Josh Triplett