Re: Is the GUST-FONT-NOSOURCE-LICENSE free?

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
Adam Borowski <kilobyte@mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
I've tried contacting Janusz Nowacki on 28 Apr 2005 and 14 Sep 2005
but received no answer.  He's obviously alive, so this could be caused
either by his lack of time or a mail misconfiguration somewhere on the
way; anyway, I finally forgot about the issue.

I have written to the three contact authors listed in antp's README.ENG
earlier this week and waiting for an answer.

Did you get any answer?

ANTP, at least in the version I got, has the hinting of several glyphs
seriously botched; it can be easily fixed with FontForge by adjusting
the glyphs or just dropping the hints.

Have you told this to the authors, too?

Kind of, albeit I'm afraid that due to my misconceptions about how FreeType works I just clouded things. I believed that it is enough to just drop hints to force the autohinter (which happens to work just wonderful with antp due to the lack of diagonal straight lines).

Several glyphs are displaced by a minute distance just below the baseline; it won't be noticeable in print but is terrible on screen.

My old ITP for ttf-antp (#299771) is still lingering open, but as you
seem to be interested in the whole GUST set, there is no point in
having a separate badly-done package for just one family.

I won't package anything additional; howeer the TeX task force is open
to making their (Type1) fonts available to the non-TeX public (actually,
Norbert joined the newly founded font team).

The best idea would be separating the fonts out of tetex-base (an 80MB big
package) and registering them with fontconfig. It appears that this is what you're going to do. If I'm wrong, I can correct my package, assuming that you can succeed in wresting a license statement from the authors. Having antp in X would be good as bitstream fonts lack Polish diacriticals, but having all TeX fonts usable in this way would be even better.

Regards.
--
/-----------------------\ Shh, be vewy, vewy quiet,
| kilobyte@mimuw.edu.pl | I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!