Re: GR proposal: GFDL with no Invariant Sections is free

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006, olive wrote:
> People will be motivated to create free alternatives if anyone agree
> that the fact that the license is non free. Do you really believe
> that many people will be motivated to create a "free" alternative of
> an OSI-certified license; which is considered free also by the FSF?

Having personally participated in a few processes that have resulted
in licenses which were thought to be free by the OSI but didn't pass
the DFSG being changed (or in the process of being changed), I no
longer need to believe. I've seen it.

You may not feel it's critical, but we do, and people who we interact
tend to eventually come to our point of view, or at least understand
our point of view and their own much more completely in the course of
a -legal review of their licences.

> When people speak about free software; they refer to the FSF or to
> the OSI, not Debian.

When people talk about Free Software, they're talking Free Software
and the groups and individuals involved in promoting and promulgating
Free Software, like the FSF, Debian, and individuals who write, use
and support Free Software. The OSI is not about Free Software. They're
about open source software. There's a difference, and the difference
is critical.

Don Armstrong

--
Miracles had become relative common-places since the advent of
entheogens; it now took very unusual circumstances to attract public