Re: Death of a copyright holders (was: [debian-vote] Amendment: invariant-less in main (Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement)

martin f. krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> I stumbled over this statement in an email from the KDE team to
> -vote:
>
> >   For the record, relicensing most of our documentation will be
> >   impossible.
Not a can-do attitude.

> >   There are several people with stated objections to using
> >   the GPL for documentation,
Nothing you can do about them.

> >   many people we have no way of contacting,
Have to find them or rewrite, indeed.

> >   and a couple who are no longer alive, which makes them fairly
> >   difficult to contact.
Contacting their heirs would hopefully not be difficult.  See below.

> I am curious: what happens to his/her copyrights when a person dies,
> specifically wrt licence choice. Do people just assume that the
> deceased didn't ever want to change the licence?
Copyrights are inherited.  Their heirs have the right to relicense.