Re: Legal status of short, perhaps uncopyrightable program (fwd)

Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> >Many countries have copyright for databases; I think the whole EU has
> >it.
>
> Would a "database" as small as this file be covered?  I personally doubt
> it, but I don't know how "database copyrights" are defined generally.

It's not exactly a "database copyright" but a separate right that
protects a database for which you had to do a substantial investment.

http://www.iusmentis.com/databases/crashcourse/

A few sentences are hardly the "substantial investment" that
the database directive talks about. If it were a collection
of fortunes, then maybe.

As to copyright, a single sentence is generally accepted to be
too short to qualify for copyright protection. Still, at the
same time, a haiku is likely to be protected even though it's
easy to write single sentences that are longer than haikus.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself