Re: celestia and JPL license

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 09:32:27AM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:

Hi

Thanks a lot for the information which has been collected in this thread.

> Has anybody sought clarification from JPL about the case where standard
> media credit lines do not apply?

I tried to contact JPL because of the problem but I never got any response
:(.

> My guess is that they would simply request that if used in software the
> line 'Some images courtesy NASA/JPL-Caltech.' Be shown along with copyright
> notices. This would include 'about' screens.

This is how I understand the license. From what I've read in this thread I
guess that such a requirement would not prevent the software from being DSFG
free.

Furthermore, some people said that JPL is not even allowed to request such a
credit line.

Unfortunately, I still don't know what to do. From my understanding of the
license and the additional information I got in this thread, I don't think
that it is a problem to use the images. So I would like to close the bug,
but on the other hand I don't know if that what has been discussed here is
enough to make sure the package is DSFG-free. And I don't want to be flamed
down because of a wrong decision...

Best regards

Mathias Weyland