ITP, RFH: pcsx -- Sony PlayStation emulator

reopen 137355
retitle 137355 ITP: pcsx -- Sony PlayStation emulator
owner 137355 !
thanks bts, daisuki da yo

Package: wnpp
Owner: Ryan Schultz <schultz.ryan@gmail.com>
Severity: wishlist

* Package name    : pcsx
  Version         : 1.6f
  Upstream Authors : Ryan Schultz <schultz.ryan@gmail.com>
 			Linuzappz     <linuzappz@pcsx.net>
 			Shadow        <shadow@pcsx.net>
 			Pete Bernett  <psswitch@online.de>
 			NoComp        <NoComp@mailcity.com>
 			Nik3d
 			Akumax        <akumax@pcsx.net>

* URL             : http://www.pcsx.net, http://rschultz.ath.cx/code.php
* License         : GPL
  Description     : Sony PlayStation emulator
 PCSX is an advanced PlayStation (PSX) emulator, which uses a plugin
 architecture to provide full support for all components of the PSX.
 It has full emulation support for gamepads, videos, sound, memory cards,
 and other important PSX components, and is able to play most games.
 .
 You will need to install packages providing psemu-plugin-video,
 psemu-plugin-sound, psemu-plugin-input, and psemu-plugin-drive
 in order to use PCSX.

-- Summary & Notes --

debian-legal:
   PCSX is a quagmire, legally -- many of the files are copyrighted to authors
that are missing, etc. -- however, investigative work :- ) by Matthew Dempsky
and Frederic Briere has helped to track down the owners of nearly all of the
files and proper license info is available (see especially
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45525 as well as the earlier
discussion in this bug). Please take a look and I'll try to clarify ownership
on any of the files, if I can. Please CC me or the bug, as I'm not subscribed
to -legal.

RFP and ITP (-devel and CCs):
   The program itself is also a nightmare. Upstream is busy with PCSX2, a
PlayStation 2 emulator, and has left PCSX with just a beta release. The
emulator code does not compile with GCC 4, due mostly to invalid lvalues --
which aren't easily fixed, as they're buried in uncommented #define macros.
Most of the code is uncommented, in fact.

   The GTK2 frontend works well, but makes bad assumptions about where it is
running, dumps files in the directory it runs from, doesn't search any
specific system directory for plugins, and is generally unkind. Much of this
has been alleviated by some clever wrapper scripting by F. Briere in his
packages, but this shouldn't be required.

   I'm not a C or a GTK programmer (not a good one, at least), and I'm not
familiar with system emulation. However, I'm trying to beat this program into
shape for Debian. I've already got it to search a system directory for
plugins (but it's a hardcoded hack at the moment) and I've made the GUI a bit
nicer to use. I gave the lvalue problems a shot but I couldn't get them fixed
without causing more errors, and I have a -2 to my pointer casting skills
anyway (from being a Python programmer). The version I'm working on is called
'pcsx-df' where 'df' is 'Debian fork' (fork is not a dirty word). I'm
maintaining my own version until I get something less hackish to send back
upstream.

    Enough about the code. The Debian package I'm working on is based
primarily on the work done by F. Briere, and I've already gotten all of the
lintian warnings squashed. You'll want to add his archive if you're using my
package, since it still needs the psemu plugins, which I've not yet started
working on. Additionally, they cannot be configured from the GTK2 GUI with
the pcsx-df 1.6f codebase, because the routine that launches the
configuration program makes location assumptions (grrr...), and I've not been
able to find it to fix these. You'll also want to run pcsx.real, as the pcsx
wrapper script is now partly redundant. mkdir -p ~/.pcsx/memcards before
running pcsx.real or you'll have problems configuring.

---------------------------------------

   Now, some information about the where to get code and packages:

Upstream:
   http://www.pcsx.net

F. Briere's work, including the psemu plugins:
   deb http://www.fbriere.net/debian/dists/unstable psx-emu/
   deb-src http://www.fbriere.net/debian/dists/unstable psx-emu/

My (temporary) Darcs repository, better one coming soon, but you can 'get' the
pcsx-df 1.6f source:
    http://rschultz.ath.cx/cgi-bin/darcs.cgi/pcsx-df/?c=browse
    darcs get http://rschultz.ath.cx/repos/pcsx-df

A snapshot of the darcs repo:
    http://rschultz.ath.cx/files/pcsx-df.tar.gz

My (only marginally functional, at the moment) PCSX-df package (it is named
pcsx, not pcsx-df)
    deb http://rschultz.ath.cx/debian unstable/i386/
    deb-src http://rschultz.ath.cx/debian unstable/source/

----- Final Notes ------------------

    Anyone looking for a minor packaging/major programming challenge, here it
is. I'm more than willing to start handing out darcs access to pcsx-df to
anyone who wants to help, and I'd really like a co-maintainer (F. Briere?)
and a DD to sponsor and help me with this. Interested hackers can also
contact me for a summary of the information and locations I've gleaned from
grepping the codebase -- I'll do everything I can to accomodate any C hackers
I can get, because I barely grok C.

That should be all, for now.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.12-1-k7
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968)