Re: Linux and GPLv2

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 10:22:12AM -0300, Humberto Massa wrote:
> Matthew Palmer wrote:
>
> >> That said, it looks questionable whether the FTP plugin should
> >> reallybe considered a derivative of the plugin loader. If the
> >> latter has a  documented API and the former only communicates with
> >> it through that API, I'd probably say no. Even more so if that
> >> plugin could conceivably work with another, non-GPL'd plugin
> >> loader.
> >
> > It's a tricky issue.  Even if the plugin does only communicate via
> > the published interface, it is entirely possible that the plugin
> > includes copyrighted elements from the plugin loader code itself.
> > It'd have to be decided on a case-by-case basis.
>
> Basically, ".h" bits are *not* copyrightable.

Under what theory do you come to that conclusion?  Note that a .h file can
contain more than function prototypes, and function prototypes don't have to
be in a .h file.

> Which other elements of the plugin loader may be _included_ in the plugin?

Macros and inline functions spring immediately to mind, although I don't
think inlines normally cross library boundaries.  My linker fu is rusty.

- Matt