Re: Linux and GPLv2

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 03:30:28PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Arnoud Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl> writes:
>
> > And probably it will also deal with running the code on a publicly
> > accessible server.
>
> The question is if a license based on copyright can legally place such
> restrictions on use of the program.

Some idea of how the FSF may attempt this can be seen from the Affero
General Public License. Apparantly the Affero GPL is a modified version
of the GNU GPL, it adds Section 2(d):

  * d) If the Program as you received it is intended to interact with
  users through a computer network and if, in the version you received,
  any user interacting with the Program was given the opportunity to
  request transmission to that user of the Program's complete source
  code, you must not remove that facility from your modified version of
  the Program or work based on the Program, and must offer an
  equivalent opportunity for all users interacting with your Program
  through a computer network to request immediate transmission by HTTP
  of the complete source code of your modified version or other
  derivative work.

It also adds an "interesting" twist on the "or later" thing often used
with the GPLv2:

  Affero Inc. may publish revised and/or new versions of the Affero
  General Public License from time to time. Such new versions will be
  similar in spirit to the present version, but may differ in detail to
  address new problems or concerns.

  Each version is given a distinguishing version number. If the Program
  specifies a version number of this License which applies to it and "any
  later version", you have the option of following the terms and
  conditions either of that version or of any later version published by
  Affero, Inc. If the Program does not specify a version number of this
  License, you may choose any version ever published by Affero, Inc.

  You may also choose to redistribute modified versions of this program
  under any version of the Free Software Foundation's GNU General Public
  License version 3 or higher, so long as that version of the GNU GPL
  includes terms and conditions substantially equivalent to those of this
  license.

So, if you wish to use the AGPL, you as copyright holder can choose
between AGPLv1 and AGPLv1 or later.  But whichever you choose, you
cannot remove the option to 'upgrade' to GNU GPLv3.

-- Kuno.
   (ps. this is probably my first post to this list, so.. hi! everyone :).