dssi license issues

Hi,

I'm currently packaging DSSI for debian (an API similar to LADSPA but
for synthesiser instruments; it can be used by the new versions of
rosegarden for instance).

There are various parts licensed in ways under LGPL, GPL and BSD in
different combinations all of which look ok.  The one part I'm concerned
about is:

=================
Licensing for the files in the examples directory may vary: please
check the individual files for details.  Most of them are in the
public domain, which means you can use them for anything you want.
=================

Having checked the individual files, they're all (bar one) listed
as being authored by the individual authors of the project (Chris
Cannam, Sean Bolton and Steve Harris).  I'm wondering if the 'you can
use them for anything you want' is enough to solve the possible 'some
countries don't have the concept of public domain' problem as it seems
to be stating the intent of the authors.

dssi_osc_send.c                PD (SB)
dssi_osc_update.c              PD (SB)
less_trivial_synth.c           PD (SH)
less_trivial_synth_qt_gui.cpp  PD (CC, SH)
less_trivial_synth_qt_gui.h    PD (CC, SH)
saw.h                          NO LICENSE; JUST NUMBERS; Used by
less_trivial_synth.c
trivial_sampler.c              PD (CC, SH, SB)
trivial_sampler.h              PD (CC, SH, SB)
trivial_sampler_qt_gui.cpp     PD (CC, SH, SB)
trivial_sampler_qt_gui.h       PD (CC, SH, SB)
trivial_synth.c                PD (SH)

saw.h is just a float array containing numbers representing a saw wave
so may not be copyrightable anyways as it's so trivial.

Can people suggest whether all of this is OK to go into main or if I
need to get clarification from upstream about the PD parts.

Cheers,

Mark

--
Mark Hymers, University of Newcastle Medical School
Intercalating Medical Student (MBBS / PhD)