Re: GPL'ed programs and libraries

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> writes:

> Dear Debian legal people,
>
> could you please link me to a FAQ about legal concerns which could
> come up when using the GPL?

The canonical answer is the GPL FAQ:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

That would be http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

> I know that there are some problems with GPL'ed projects and the
> linking with OpenSSL. When is it problematic?

The answer depends on who you ask, and on the precise definition of a
"derived work".

If you are writing a program, and want to link against a non-GPL
library, it's probably safest to use a different license than the GPL
for your program.  Linking with 2-clause BSD or MIT licensed libraries
is always OK.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com