Re: CC-BY license.

Daniel Carrera <dcarrera@math.umd.edu> writes:
> Jeremy Hankins wrote:

>> Thanks for the direct link.  A lot of folks prefer the actual text to
>> be posted as well, though.  It makes things easier for those (like
>> myself) who are behind slow connections or even read mail offline.
>
> Heh. Just goes to show how different people will reach different
> conclusions from the same premises. At OpenOffice.org you get told to
> be succinct and provide links out of consideration for people on slow
> connections.  :-)

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I think the reason for that stance here is
that it's very hard to discuss anything intelligently without the
license in front of you, so you're pretty much obligated to fire up a
browser and look it up anyway.  Besides, I've personally noticed that
messages that include the license get more attention and are more likely
to avoid certain silly misunderstandings.

>> Did you mean to skip the second issue -- that of having to purge names?
>
> Yes, because I don't have a solution for it. At first sight, it looks like
> it may be something where Debian and CC just won't agree.

Possibly, but it depends on what they're trying to accomplish.  The case
we're worried about that seems most egregious (e.g., a biography, and
you're required to purge the name of the subject because he happens to
have contributed some material and he doesn't like the result) is
probably not intentional.  The rest is a bit greyer, and it's quite
possible that if we understood the motivation behind that bit we'd be
able to come to some sort of compromise.  If it's limited to purging it
from the list of authors, for example, that might be more workable.
(Thoughts from others on this?)

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>