Re: Why is choice of venue non-free ?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:31:59PM +1100, Glenn L McGrath wrote:
> Your want to protect end users by make it harder for the individual
> copyright holders to defend their work.

You could say the same thing about police-your-neighbor licenses, which
say "if you become aware of a possible license violation, you must
immediately notify the copyright holder or you lose your license, too".
I consider these obviously and extremely non-free.  Does that means I
want to make it "harder for the individual copyright holders to defend
their work", too?

No, of course not.  I don't mind if copyright holders make their copyright
easier to defend--until it comes at an unacceptable cost of freedom to
licensees.  I believe choice of venue (and police-your-neighbor) clauses
do so.

--
Glenn Maynard