Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:

> Brian Sniffen write:
>>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>>>
>>> That's some strong crack you've been smoking Brian; I'd give it a rest
>>> for a while. Your interpretation of how applications, libraries and
>>> the kernel live together is *special*.
>>
>>My interpretation is just the plain wording of GPL 2b: the Debian OS
>>is a work, and it is distributed, and it contains many GPL'd programs.
>>
>>The only reason the whole thing doesn't have to be distributed under
>>the terms of the GPL is the "mere aggregation" exception, which
>>doesn't apply to a Java program that can only be in Main because of a
>>GPL'd JVM.
>
> The two have no link until the end user runs the program, and at that
> point there's no distribution happening.

They are being put onto the same CD image by Debian.  Well, will be
put, if this goes into main.  Also, when one is requested from apt the
other is installed.  Those links mean that this isn't mere
aggregation, since mere aggregation would exist without them.  That
is, in order to count as a mere aggregation, they can be no closer
than the furthest they could be and still be said to be aggregated.

Certainly if one's only being allowed into main because the other is
there, they're not merely aggregated.

-Brian