Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:26:20AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:53:49PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
> >
> > > Worse case scenario, this could be clean-room reimplemented.
> >
> > Before doing that, somebody ought to approach Apple and ask explicit
> > permission to reverse-engineer the boot-block code and distribute the
> > reverse-engineered source under a free license.
>
> You don't need permission to reverse-engineer anything.
>
> If we're going to talk to Apple, we should ask them to release the boot
> sector and anything else we need within the scope of this problem under
> a DFSG-compatible license.

Only problem would be if they don't have the source code for this 10+
year old little bit of code.

But nevermind, i think we can achieve a nicer solution to this problem
with benh, he promised me to have some look at it this evening.

The not buildable in main problem still remains though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther