Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 01:10:36PM -0800, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 04:05:48PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > Hacker #2 affirms that he has never looked at the existing boot
> > sector, and will not do so in the future.  He or she understands MacOS
> > well enough to know how to hand-code 1kB worth of assembly (or
> > possibly compilable C code) to create a functionally-identical boot
> > sector from the plain English description.
>
> If I understand right from my GNU hacking, it's preferable to take a
> slightly different approach if possible.  Doing some of it in C instead
> of ASM (if at all possible, obviously) might result in that anyway.

Notice that there is 200bytes or so of m68k asm, most of them A-trap
calls to the Mac OS rom, concerned. I doubt you have much chance of
getting anything but a 100% identical code, whatever the way you go at
generating it.

Anything you may do, these calls are needed, you could add some noop
calls in between, or some random stuff, but i doubt that this will be
more than smoke and mirrors.

Friendly,

Sven Luther