Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

On Sunday 28 March 2004 23:32, Rick Thomas wrote:
> It's still possible to use quik or miboot to get a completely
> "macOS free" machine, but we can leave that as an exercise for the
> serious hackers.

Actually on some old powermac clones (like mine, a Umax C500 with a
lot of gadgets, like G3, ethernet -this mac did not come with a
network card), quik does not work due to broken OF. So the BootX
approach with a minimal HFS partition bootable to MacOS (I have 9,
but 8.X will do fine, haven't tried 7.6 which is given away freely).
For what it's worth...

> Would that fit all the legal requirements?
>
> It has the advantage that it's doable in the time-frame needed to
> get sarge out the door.

And for some people, as you very well pointed out, BootX is easy to
use, however miboot, quik is out of the question, esp. for people who
just want to try out Debian.

Konstantinos