Re: Referencing the DFSG [Re: DRAFT summary of the OPL; feedback requested]

Humberto Massa said on Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:17:25AM -0300,:

 > I Disagree. If it's to be a reference, then cross-references get to
 > be more  and more important. So, to  *properly* cross-reference the
 > summary with the  DFSG, a small note like (Viol  DFSG #2, maybe #4)
 > is a nice thing.

Essence of writing  a good opinion is that we need  to convey the same
message we have in mind.

You simply cannot predefine how you are going to do that.

When a  clause is  plainly violating  the DFSG, we  can get  away with
`that is not DFSG free'; and a reference to specific provisions of the
DFSG might not be necessary.

But to say that this clause from the GFDL

    "You may  not use  technical measures to  obstruct or  control the
     reading or further copying of the copies you make or distribute."

is not free equires  elaboration and references to specific provisions
of DFSG.  (better examples might be available).

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,
  Ernakulam, Cochin-682018,