Re: Debian & the Mozilla Firefox Trademarks

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:

> [Just a reminder]
>
> While we are here talking about the Mozilla Firefox case, don't forget
> Debian distributes Mozilla and Mozilla Thunderbird as well, in the
> same conditions.
>
> Mike

I would be interested to see a comparison of the Mozilla trademark
licenses with those for TeX: TeX requires passing a gruelling test
suite and guarantees functional equivalency; Mozilla requires it be an
unmodified copy of their code.  So TeX is using trademarks to provide
brand-equivalence and consumer protection, their proper use.  Mozilla
is using trademarks to enforce that which is properly the domain of
copyright.  There's a case we don't often see.

-Brian