Re: Debian & the Mozilla Firefox Trademarks

* Ben Goodger (ben@mozilla.org) wrote:
> Eric Dorland wrote:
>
> >Hi Ben,
> >

> Hi Eric,
>
> I'm replying to this including our QA person, Asa Dotzler who is
> interested in these matters.
[snip]

> Asa will comment more here.
>
> >The other issue that came up was that of the Firefox artwork. At the
> >request of a user I added the new (gorgeous) Firefox icons to the
> >package. I thought the fact they weren't already there was just a
> >oversight, but I now realize they're trademarked as well. Is there any
> >way we could get that icon or some derivative of it under a DFSG
> >compatible license. We would need something like this to distribute
> >them in Debian. Having different icons would again cause confusion and
> >worsen the experience for our users.
> >

> Does DFSG imply that anyone can modify and use the Firefox artwork for
> any purpose? If so, then we have additional issues.

Not exactly. Unfortunately the DFSG were written with source code in
mind and really don't take things like artwork and documentation, so
maybe someone from debian-legal would like to comment on that
further. But looking at the point 4 of the DFSG
(http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines), you can have the
artwork modified as long as someone can distribute patches against it
(how to have an artwork patch, i don't know, but there's no technical
reason it couldn't be done). Otherwise it seems well within your
rights under the DFSG to not allow the artwork to be used outside of
the source, or comply them to modify it. Again, I'm hoping someone
from debian-legal will correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Eric Dorland <eric.dorland@mail.mcgill.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com