Re: free licensing of TEI Guidelines

Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:57:26AM -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> > Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> > > For instance, I believe the following is OK:  "As a condition of
> > > distributing this work or derivative works thereof, you must not
> > > include statements in the colophon unless you believe them to be
> > > true."

> > Wouldn't that rule out satire?

> It would.  I disagree with Nathanael here.

So do I. I think that in most jurisdictions, satire is either covered
by a "fair use" doctrine or explicit exceptions in copyright law, but
there might very well be ones where this is not true.

> Moreover, it's a bitch to prove whether someone believes something to be
> true.

Hm, well, the burden would be on the plaintiff to show that the
distributor did *not* believe his statements to be true.

--
Henning Makholm                         "Apologies if I am repeating obvious
                                conclusions. My only gateway onto the Net is