Re: debian-legal review of licenses

Scripsit Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>
> Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader <leader@debian.org> writes:

> I'm a bit unclear at this point what problem we're trying to solve.  To
> date, I think there are four potentially interesting cases:

> - Someone brings license to d-l, short discussion ensues with rapid
>   conclusion.
[...]
> I'd say the clear majority of cases fall into the first category, and
> I'm not convinced that case is broken.

The perceived problem is that it should be possible for the outsider
to get the rapid conclusion without subscribing to the list or risking
to have an entire long flamewar Cc'ed to him.

I agree with Martin that it might be a good idea to find a solution to
this, if it can be done without turning everything upside down or
burying ourselves in red tape.

> - Someone brings a license to d-l, and flame wars result.

> The third case seems to be the sticky one, but I'm not convinced any of
> the solutions suggested actually help there.

No, but note that this *possibility* is why Someone wouldn't want to
just say, "please cc the discussion to me" in his initial email.

Documenting a way to bring a license to d-l without risiking one's
mailbox to a flamewar would be somewhat valuable.

> - And what you mention above, where no one brings a license to us but we
>   notice an OSI certified license that's not DFSG free.

> And as for the last case, I personally wouldn't want to touch it with a
> 10' pole.  It's hard enough talking to people about licensing issues
> without first having to interest someone who probably doesn't care.

I agree that this is the difficult case. Much as I can see why the DPL
would like someone to touch this, it would be a very difficult and
thankless job to do, and carry a risk of giving the licensor a very
bad initial impression of Debian.

--
Henning Makholm                         "Al lykken er i ét ord: Overvægtig!"