Re: Fwd: [Politech] California DeCSS case eventually, finally, over [ip]

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:49:55AM +0100, Sam Hocevar wrote:
>    Especially since Lindows is distributing libdvdcss with its DVD
> player and calls it a "licensed commercial decryption codec", which
> probably means the DVDCCA is aware of libdvdcss and even allows its
> redistribution (under the GPL, of course, because the libdvdcss authors
> never gave permission to redistribute under other terms).

Until we see the agreement Lindows has with the DVD-CCA (if they have
one) we'll never know if they're simply ignoring the DVD-CCA agreement
or ignoring the GPL or they really can comply with both.  I'd be very
surpised if they worked out such an agreement with the DVD-CCA.  People
who are sue other people to stop them from distributing such information
don't tend to turn around and sign an agreement with someone else to
allow them to do so in such a manner as the GPL requires.

--
Ben Reser <ben@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken