Re: Licence query

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004, Roger Leigh wrote:
> It appears to be a BSD-style licence, with all UCB references
> removed,

Yeah, that's pretty much what it is.

> but I'd just like to check with you that it is DFSG-free since it is
> a different licence, and IANAL.  In particular, the "no advertising
> without prior written permission" clause looks restrictive, but
> appears similar to clause 4 of the BSD licence (could this be seen
> to conflict with DFSG clauses 5 and/or 6, since it restricts
> advertisers/advertising?).

This clause is fine because it's restricting something that already is
generally restricted by law anyway. [Eg. claiming that someone
endorses a particular product without their expressed approval.]

So long as the no advertising clause isn't written in such a way that
it precludes us from including the copyright clause or inhibits
functional uses of the code, it's generally ok.

Don Armstrong

--
Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did, we'd be
running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and listening to

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu