Re: XFree86 license difficulties

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:22:05PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Yeah. My own personal feeling is that we shouldn't be distributing
> > anything to which we need to apply this exception, unless it's
> > something that we have historically considered to be covered under
> > it.
>
> Huh?  "unless that component itself accompanies the executable".  Debian
> can't use the OS exception.  (It seems that the OS exception is intended
> to allow people to use GPL programs on non-free systems, while not
> allowing non-free systems to include GPL programs directly.)

For reference the full clause under discussion:

     However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need
     not include anything that is normally distributed (in either
     source or binary form) with the major components (compiler,
     kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the
     executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the
     executable.

If you want to argue that everything we distribute accompanies the
executable, I guess that's a possible argument, although that's a new
one to me. Doesn't really matter to me though... the net effect is
pretty much the same.

Don Armstrong

--
DIE!