Re: XFree86 license difficulties

On 2004-02-02 20:11:45 +0000 paul cannon <pik@debian.org> wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that the FSF's opinion
on this is not universal. That is, it is not an irrational view that
dynamically linking to a library is only _using_ that library, not
creating a derived work from it.

Some works with copyright held by FSF are affected by this, so their published opinion probably would count.

However, if there is a good reason why the result of a compile that included a file from a work, which appears only in that work because it is an extension unique to that work, is not derived from that work, I'm interested to read it.

Using grep on the command-line is a bit different. The use could have been derived from a published description of it and I don't end up including grep as part of the compile. There are quite a few versions of grep, too.

I don't know libcurl enough to comment on it and I think that's getting off-topic.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at