Re: Revised JasPer License

Michael Adams wrote:
>draft license for the JasPer software.  It appears that Image Power
>will approve the license as written below.  I am still awaiting official
>approval.  I think that this license should address all of your concerns,
>as it is essentially the same as the MIT license with a few extra
>comments in the disclaimer to emphasize the patent issue and also
>address the use of JasPer in mission-critical systems.

It would still be better if the disclaimer disclaimed implied warranties only
to, say, "the fullest extent permitted by law".  :-)  This presumably isn't
strictly necessary, because the usual interpretation of illegal warranty
disclaimers seems to be that the rest of the license remains valid.  But it's
safer, especially because of the line "NO USE OF THE SOFTWARE IS AUTHORIZED
HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER," which read strictly would indicate
that if any part of the warranty disclaimer was found invalid, the Software
couldn't be used in that jurisdiction.