Re: GPL, OpenSSL and Non-Free

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Paul Hampson wrote:
> As I understand it, the issue is that anything in the Debian
> archive is considered to be distributed with Debian, and so
> the GPL's exception for libraries that come with the OS
> doesn't apply since the application also comes with the OS.
> (In GPL's terms, the OS comes with the application)

Just for completeness, here's the clause in question:

     However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need
     not include anything that is normally distributed (in either
     source or binary form) with the major components (compiler,
     kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the
     executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the
     executable. (GNU GPL �3)

> However, non-free is not part of Debian (as per the social contract)
> so it would be OK to put GPL'd programs that depend on OpenSSL into
> non-free?

Unfortunatly, it is not clear that openssl is normally distributed
with the other components, as we do not require that people actually
install openssl.

Moreover, if we did claim that it did, the fact that they are both on
the same mirror (in the typical case) leads to the conclusion that
openssl accompanies an executable in non-free. [This becomes a "the
result is not distributable" instead of a "the result is not DFSG
free".]

In the end, your best bet is to either 1) get the exception from the
FreeRadius upstream or 2) port FreeRadius to gnutls. Working around
the problem using non-free really isn't going to work.

--
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved
by brute strength and ignorance.