Re: GPL-licensed packages with depend-chain to OpenSSL

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 04:32:17PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Well, then the question is, is that combined program a derived work of the
> GPLed program?
>
> If it consists of two pieces: the GPLed program and the OpenSSL library --
> and each exists and is fully functional without the other -- and neither is
> a derived work of the other --
>
> Then in that case we don't have a derived work, we have an aggregated work
> or a collected work or some such.

I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Would you claim that copyright holders do not have the right to determine
whether or not a collected work includes their copyrighted material?

If not, would you claim that in the absence of an explicit license to
incorporate that copyrighted material in that collected work, that the
collected work may legally include the material?

If you're not claiming either of these, are you claiming that the GPL's
"mere aggregation" clause is intended to cover cases where the collective
pieces are designed to work together as a Program?

Thanks,

--
Raul