Re: Open Software License v2.1

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

>> > If the software is not free, regardless of the copyright license,
>> > then the reason it's not free is not the copyright license.  Thus,
>> > this scenario has no bearing on the freeness of the license.
>>
>> I don't think that's true.  Certainly, I see no reason it should be
>> accepted as obviously true.
>
> Where, specifically, do you disagree?  [Let's take it for granted that
> if you disagree with an antecedent that you feel that the consequent
> is illogical.]

Something can be non-free for many reasons.  If it is non-free
regardless of the copyright license, and under a non-free copyright
license, then it is nonsensical to speak of a single reason that it is
non-free.

I think I see what conclusion you'd like me to reach, though -- that a
copyright license which is sometimes free and sometimes non-free, but
only non-free in cases where the software in question is already
non-free anyway, is a free license.  Is that the basic idea?  If so, I
almost believe it.  Almost, but not quite.  By way of comparison,
consider a GPL-like license which additionally prohibited private
modification to include non-GPL-compatible works written by others --
that is, to prohibit making any thing you could not distribute under
the GPL out of parts you have only under the GPL.

That's non-free, and this is non-free for the same reason.

>> > This scenario of yours has nothing to do with the freeness of the
>> > license.
>>
>> It's just your patent scenario from above, rephrased to deal with
>> physical property.
>
> That's not "my patent scenario", that's "my paraphrase of your patent
> scenario".  I'm claiming that the scenario is invalid, your rephrasing
> of it didn't make it valid.

What's invalid about that scenario?  I understand that you object to
the conclusions drawn from it, but now you claim that the hypothetical
itself is invalid.  What does this mean?

-Brian