GPL Compatibility of IFRIT License

Hi,

I'm currently working on packaging IFRIT (a piece of data visualization
software which uses VTK and QT).  I've been auditing all of the source
files to check their licenses before I finish off the packaging and
apart from a couple of small issues (small files not having licenses)
which I'm going to contact upstream about, it all looks reasonably good.

I just want to check one thing.  The license for the majority of the
IFRIT code is this:

/*=========================================================================
Copyright (c) 2002-2003 Nick Gnedin
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

 * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
   this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

 * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
   this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
   and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

 * Neither name of Nick Gnedin nor the names of any contributors may be used
   to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific
   prior written permission.

 * Modified source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
   misrepresented as being the original software.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS''
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
=========================================================================*/

A wdiff between this and the VTK license shows that just the names of
the contributors have been changed (as you'd expect).  It appears to be
a modified BSD license (i.e. without advertising clause) with one extra
clause:

 * Modified source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
   misrepresented as being the original software.

My question is about linking this against GPL code (in this case, QT).
I think this is probably ok but my only point of reference for this is
that the zlib license (which the FSF describe as being GPL compatible -
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html) contains the following
clause:

2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must
   not be misrepresented as being the original software.

Basically, I just want to check before sorting out the remaining small
issues with upstream and continuing with the package that the consensus
of opinion here is that this is all ok and correct.

Many thanks,

Mark

--
Mark Hymers, University of Newcastle Medical School
Intercalating Medical Student (MBBS / PhD)