Re: NEW ocaml licence proposal by upstream, will be part of the 3.08.1 release going into sarge.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:45:11PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 09:56:45PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 01:56:07PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Now, you may claim that the patch may be more significant than the original
> > > code, or equaly so. But then, in this case, it would be argued which of those
> > > correspond to a derived work of the other. My position is that each one is a
> >
> > I think it'd be pretty clear which was which.  Your work was developed as a
> > result of what was already provided under the QPL.  The work resulting from
>
> It is not always that clear, imagine two works, A and B, which can integrate
> well enough, but each one could be a patch of the other, or vice versa.

Nope, I'm having a great deal of trouble imagining two independently
developed works each of which could be a patch to the other.

Note that libraries linking to each other don't apply, as they're not
modifying each other.

I really cannot think of how two works, each of which is a modification of
the other, could ever come to be, short of time travel or some such.

> > the combination of the original software and your patch is a derived work of
> > both, but thankfully the initial developer isn't bound by the terms of the
> > QPL because he got an all-permissions, so you've got bupkis.  Similarly, any
> > modifications that the original author does to your work don't fall under
> > the "modified versions" rule, because the initial developer didn't need to
> > accept the QPL to modify your work.
>
> So what ? It is just a patch, no interaction with the original software at
> all, unless it is compiled that is.
>
> Now, if you consider those patch as only small piece of modification from the
> original software, like, err, the patches they are, then it is only fair to
> notice that there is some disymetry of importance between the huge work having
> gone in the original software, and the smallish patch you have sent upstream,
> and thus it is no wonder that you find this same disymetry in the licence and
> attached rights too.

"You didn't do much, so you don't deserve freedom".

"You're only users, you don't deserve source".

> > > derived work of the other, each being QPLed, and so each get the same licence
> > > and the same benefit, in particular your right to claim upstream's code is a
> > > derived work of your own stuff, and can thus be incorportated in your own code
> > > base, provided upstream incorporate your work.
> >
> > The QPL doesn't talk of derived works as such[1], merely modified versions
> > of the original software.  Your modification, though it may constitute 90%
> > of the resulting codebase, is still a modified version of a QPL'd work.  (In
>
> Well, i have somehow the feeling that this would be something you could go to
> court and argue over.

I wouldn't like to.  We generally accept that there are two ways to create a
derived work, linking and modification.  Each is dealt with separately in
the QPL.  I doubt you'd have an easy time convincing a judge that the
licence authors really had no idea what they were doing, and mistook
"modified" as "derived".

> > that case, you'd be nuts not to just rewrite the other 10% and freely
> > licence it, but we'll leave that alone for now).  All modifications of a
> > QPL'd work have to follow the guidelines in 3b.
>
> But still, the copyright of your patch or modification remains with you,
> altough upstream has the right to integrate it, and all persons further
> patching it are thus obliged to give you the same right you give upstream,
> so ...

The upstream author still doesn't have to abide by the same terms I had to.
All I can do is take modifications to my patch and do whatever I like to
them.  Whoop-dee-doo!  I still have an asymmetric relationship with
upstream.

- Matt