Re: NEW ocaml licence proposal by upstream, will be part of the 3.08.1 release going into sarge.

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:

> DFSG #5.  Discrimination against a person or groups of persons.  In this
> case, the group that contains !(initial developer).  A common definition of
> discrimination in the sense of exclusion is that exclusion is discrimination
> when it makes the distinction based on an intrinsic quality, rather than
> based on a choice.  To take a kroogerism, if we exclude because someone is a
> White Christian Male, that's discrimination, but if we exclude that same
> person because they're being an idiot, that's OK.

The non-developers get a set of freedoms that are arguable free. The
developers get a slightly larger set of freedoms. That's not
discrimination against the non-developers - it's discrimination in
favour of the developers. Granting extra freedoms above and beyond
something that is already free should never be a problem, even if those
freedoms only apply to certain people.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org