Re: Web application licenses

> Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> writes:
> > 17 USC 101 and Articles 4 and 8 of the WIPO Copyright Treaty probably
> > suffice.  They definitely classify a network-provided application as
> > public performance -- unless you believe that executing a program does
> > not count as a "performance" of it, which to me sounds far out-there.

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 11:20:54AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
[quotes 17 USC 101 definitions of "performance"...]
> In other words, it's very clear that my running postfix to send you
> this message is not a public performance of postfix.

It's very clear to me that "performance" and "public performance" are
two different things -- cases of "public performance" being a subset of
cases of "performance".

It's also clear to me, from reading the bit of 17 USC 101 you quoted,
that running postfix constitutes a performance, even if it's not a
public performance.

--
Raul