Re: Web application licenses

Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> writes:

> Brian Thomas Sniffen writes:
>
>> But in your model, am I performing the MUA, the MTA, the network
>> stack, libc, the firewall, the NAT software, the routers in between,
>> Spamassassin on your side, the mailing list manager, your MTA, MDA, or
>> MUA?  All of them?
>
> You perform the MUA, MTA, network stack, libc and anything else you
> cause to run on your side.  You sending mail would be private
> performance of those, because you both operate and invoke the
> software, and so you would not be bound by restrictions on their
> public performance.  I would be publicly performing the MTA on my end
> for you when my MTA accepts mail from you.  Execution of my mail
> filters, MDA and MUA are private performance on my part.

But there's no creativity in my execution of that code -- only what
was originally there.  That is, since a computer program is partly
creative expression of an idea, and partly a functional device,
copyright law protects the former but not the latter.  So in executing
the code, I'm not interacting with the creative expression at all: I'm
using it, not performing it.

That's no more a public performance than driving a well-designed
sports car is a public performance of its design.

>> > I do not see how altering the data in transit is pertinent.  Are you
>> > arguing that because some application uses IPv4, it can be encumbered
>> > by a copyright license on code running on a router, or vice versa?
>>
>> No, but surely the person running the router is performing its code,
>> in your model.  And if the router alters data in transit, then it
>> creates a derivative work as it passes the packets along, right?
>> Surely, then, the license on that alteration matters.
>
> Yes, the person operating the router is publicly performing the
> router's code.  However, because mechanical transformations are not
> derivative works under copyright law, and because communications
> providers are allowed to forward data on request[1], the router's
> forwarding actions do not infringe any copyright on either the data or
> programs that generate the data.

I wasn't talking about a purely mechanical transformation -- consider
that I replace one out of every thousand packets with my own poetry.
The license on the poetry then does matter.

I suspect you may misunderstand the way in which "mechanical
transformations are not derivative works" -- it's not that there's no
copyright on the work after it's been transformed, but rather that
it's exactly the same copyright as before transformation.