Re: GPL-licensed packages with depend-chain to OpenSSL

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:22:34PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Please forgive a new subscriber if this subject already has been debated to
> death. In that case, just let me know and I'll quietly crawl away again.

> Ok, here's my explanation of the "problem":

> There this package in recent Debian named 'curl' (using a MIT-like
> license). It is built with OpenSSL (you all know the OpenSSL license).

> With curl there comes two (that we care about here) debian packages
> nowadays named libcurl2 and libcurl3 (libcurl3 being the new ABI and
> libcurl2 the older one). Both are linked against the OpenSSL libraries.

> Many applications use libcurl. Including several applications/packages in
> Debian unstable that are GPL-licensed.

> See where I'm drifting? Several packages in Debian unstable are licensed
> GPL (without explicit allowance for linking with OpenSSL) but links with
> libraries/components that link with OpenSSL... This creates binaries that
> are not allowed to distribute due to GPL license violations. AFAICT.

> I'm not a Debian guru, but I scanned through the list of apps depending on
> curl to see what licenses they use, and I stopped when I had collected five
> examples:

>  grip, logjam, ardour, fbi, xine-ui

> They are all GPLv2 licensees.

This is, in fact, a violation of the GPL as we understand it.

It would be helpful if you could file bug reports (severity: serious)
against these packages you've looked at, documenting the license
problem.  The maintainer may have further licensing information that's
not documented in the package copyright file; or, OTOH, we may need to
remove these packages from sarge if the question can't be resolved
quickly.

> (I'm sure someone with more Debian skill can do this checking better and
> more accurate - these numbers were obtained by some rather crude and
> error-prone scripts.)

It's possible to quickly find a list of packages using libcurl2/3, but
checking the licenses of these packages still requires human review of
the copyright files.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek