Re: Netatalk and OpenSSL licencing

Glenn Maynard wrote:
> Lots of people become disappointed in the GPL once they personally become
> the one wasting time reimplementing stuff due to incompatibilities that
> the GPL deliberately causes.  I no longer use the GPL for my own work,
> preferring the MIT license--do what you want, don't waste your time reinventing
> the wheel.

I think the issue of non-GPL-compatible licenses is certainly annoying,
but I don't really see any way around it without losing the copyleft.
In order for copyleft to work, there needs to be _some_ definition of
what Free means in the "derived works must be Free" clause.  "Compatible
with this license" is the easiest.  I suppose one could have a "As an
exception, you may combine this with anything that meets the <insert
DFSG, OSI, FSF, etc> requirements" clause, or something like MySQL's
FLOSS exception, but that still prevents you from combining it with
another copyleft license, and I believe it opens up rather large holes
in the copyleft.

Overall, I think the benefit of the GPL's copyleft is worth the hassle
dealing with the occasional piece of non-GPL-compatible software.

See also http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html ; I'm more
inclined to blame these (relatively uncommon) incompatibilities on those
who make their software GPL-incompatible, rather than on the GPL itself.

- Josh Triplett