Re: Netatalk and OpenSSL licencing

On 2004-08-09 12:36:46 +0100 Freek Dijkstra <debian_public@macfreek.nl> wrote:

2. Is the netatalk upstream author correct that he cannot reasonably make
   the exception (without asking all possible contributors)

I think so.

3. Is there any way of getting netatalk with encrypted passwords in sarge?

I don't know. I would probably look at porting to gnutls if no-one has tried that yet.

I can think of source-only distributions, or asking to move it out of
   main. However, I do not fully understand the implications of this.

IIRC, this licence conflict makes it non-distributable, so "move it out of main" wouldn't allow you to compile against OpenSSL.

PS: to play the devils advocate on this list: is this !@#&$(%$ really
necessary for me as an end-user to get open-source software to work? I'd

Sadly, yes, someone has to do this, until laws change. If the developers haven't done it and it's important to you, you need to cause some development on this...

Copyright won't necessarily ignore you (or us) just because you ignore copyright. That is the fault of your lawmakers, at least partly. Debian aims to be universal, so can't really rely on the few blanket copyright permissions for certain kinds of use.

rather had spend all this time doing something *useful*. All lawyers on this
list: please find an other job. ;-)

That would actually be unhelpful, assuming we have more helpful lawyers than evil spy lawyers on this list. I'm glad you labelled that as a rant.

Please email about: BT alternative for line rental+DSL;
Education on SMEs+EU FP6; office filing that works fast